The Committee have unanimously agreed that the 2020 season is formally cancelled and the green will remain closed until 2021.
We have to adhere to the guidance from the Welsh Bowling Association of 30 May 2020, 16 July 2020 and 20 July 2020 (www.welshbowls.co.uk) on the planning and safe systems required to enable bowls to recommence. This requires:
- a Risk Assessment
- an off-site booking system i.e. bowlers cannot just turn up and bowl
- bowlers must wash or sanitise hands and sanitise any equipment (including bowls, jacks, and mats) they use before and after play; bowlers must bring their own hand sanitiser and use this throughout play
- gates,padlocks,keys and door handles must be sanitised before and after use; social distancing of two metres must be adhered to
- changing rooms must remain closed
- a club member should oversee all sessions
- clubs must appoint at least one COVID 19 Club Officer to support the Welsh Governments Test ,Trace and Protect system. This officer will have to ensure a daily register of all attendees to the club and its facilities is maintained, together with contact details of all attendees, whether members or otherwise.
Establishing, and adhering, to these guidelines are extremely challenging, particularly as our green is in a public park. The Committee has taken into account that a number of our members have been shielding, nearly half of our members are over 70 and most of our other members are over 60.
All leagues i.e PG1, PG2, Midweek and Alliance have been cancelled.
Cardiff Council have now confirmed that those clubs under the Grounds Maintenance Agreement with the Councils Parks service will be required to pay the Maintenance Fees (£6,300 per annum) on a pro rata basis if they wish to open their greens. Such costs would have to met by our bowlers. The Committee has given this matter serious and detailed consideration and we have your health, welfare and safety as our paramount concern.
Best wishes to you and your families, stay safe and well and we hope to see you in the not too distant future in the Joe's Club.